Sunday, January 16, 2011

Off to a Rough Start

Well, Laken's first night in her room was a little rough.  She has been sleeping through the night since Thanksgiving ... right before she turned two months old.  I've literally been pinching myself every time I put her down because she's been such a good sleeper.  Every night I would put her down in her Pack N' Play (next to our bed) wide awake and she would put herself to sleep ... and then she would sleep right through the night!  No matter how many times she would do this I would be amazed at how easy she was.  Unfortunately, last night did not go quite like that.

We put her down at 8pm and she was having none of it.  Instead of being my calm little punkin, she cried the second her body hit the mattress.  I tried to get her to fall asleep by just giving her a reassuring touch and talking quietly to her.  That did NOT work.  So, then I picked her up and rocked her to sleep (which I prefer not to do because I don't want her to start relying on me to fall asleep) and was finally able to put her down. 

She slept until about 2:30am when she started crying.  I went in and checked on her and had to - again - pick her up and rock her back to sleep.

Again, at 3:30am ... I had to go back in and stick her binky back in her mouth.  She went right back to sleep.

At 4:00am the Angel Care alarm went off indicating that she had stopped breathing.  I bolted out of bed, burst into her room and scooped her up in my arms in complete terror.  She was breathing just fine.  Unfortunately, though, my outburst woke her up and now she wanted to eat.

I brought her into our room, nursed her, and let her sleep the rest of the morning with us. 

I'm hoping tonight will go a little smoother.

No comments: